Tuesday, November 11, 2014

From God's Arms, To My Arms, To Yours


Placing a child for adoption has got to be one of the hardest things EVER. I can't even comprehend the extent of the heartbreak. Birth parents love their children just as much as anyone else. People will sometimes say to them something like "I love my children way to much to ever give them up", or other things that imply it was a lack of love that led them to choose adoption for their child. One awesome birth mom that I know has said "If I loved him any less there is no way I could have placed him." Adoption is ALL ABOUT LOVE. (I'm not trying to imply that those who choose to parent love their children less than those who choose to place. Both decisions can be a result of love, and what you feel is best for the child.) These birth parents love their children so much. One thing that Cheyenne has shared is that she is afraid that Abby will think she didn't love her and didn't want her (so not true and we have done and will continue to do our best to make sure that Abby always knows how much Cheyenne loves her), that no one will ever love Abby as much as she does (I guess I don't know what it feels like to conceive and carry a child - I'm sure it is very bonding - but I do have to say I love Abby as much as I think is humanly possible), and that she will get teased about being adopted (I hope this doesn't happen.) I'm sure that birthaprents have a lot of fears, and they have to place a lot of trust in those who become their child's parents. They also have to place a lot of trust in their Heavenly Father.
I first heard "From God's Arms, to My Arms, to Yours" by Michael Mclean when I was a young teenager. I may cry every time I hear it. It's the actual words of a birth mom to the parents of her child, what she wants them to know and what she wants them to tell their son. She talks about the struggle she went through to about deciding whether to parent or place, about how much she loves him and wants him to know it. I can imagine Cheyenne saying all the same things. So that is my song for today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvLp4sIamMo) but there are several other songs that have a similar message: "What's Mine Is Yours" by Katherine Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhMfQVBpoSY), "Take Good Care of My Baby" by Carole King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGWOtDnPRA), "I Loved Her First" by Heartland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8Z69B6RFQ), and "Where I Stood" by Missy Higgins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9QNRvXH1HI)













No comments: