Monday, November 24, 2014

In Our Hearts

I'm sure all parents have some fears for their children - being afraid someone breaking your daughter's heart, or when she feels so alone because her friends are mean, afraid she won't care about doing well in school or won't make good choices. Being the parent of a child that was adopted increases the number of fears. I'm afraid there will come a time that it will be hard on Abby that she doesn't look like us, I'm afraid for how she will feel about our grafted family tree rather than a traditional one, I'm afraid for the times when her adoption is hard on her, I'm afraid for when she tells me I'm not her "real mom". Birth mom's have fears too - I know Cheyenne has worried that Abby will think she didn't love her (I won't let that happen) and that she will get teased for having been adopted. Some things I am afraid of are inevitable, and some I try to protect against. The more comfortable I get with open adoption the less protective I feel about my role as mom, the less I fear Abby telling me she wants to live with her real mom or something like that. I fear more that she will feel lonely not looking like us. This is one of the main reasons I really hope that we will be able to adopt more multiracial children. But whether we do or not, we will obviously do all we can to help her know we love her, completely, as she is for who she is, and if obstacles arise due to our different races or there are questions we can't answer because of them we will find a solution. We may fail in some areas, but we'll do our best, and we will always love.
Song: "You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzy8RMGaL0)

No comments: