Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Her Birth Father

This morning Abby and I were playing on the floor. She would climb on to my back and I would roll her over my shoulder and set her down in my lap. At one point she didn't immediately get back up and she was sitting between my legs, our legs out stretched beside each other. We were both wearing shorts. I noticed the whiteness of mine against the darkness of hers. I like to talk to her about the differences in our physical appearance and tell her how pretty I think she is. I said "Look at our legs. Mine are very light, but yours are dark. I love your dark skin." I've said things like that lots of times, and we talk about Cheyenne a lot, but it occurred to me that I never tell her about her birth dad, C. That is partly because not only does Abby not know him but we don't either. I have never met him, never communicated with him in any way. This is his choice - he has denied paternity from the start and has never sought a relationship with Abby. I don't know if he really doesn't believe he fathered Abby or not, I really know very little about it. (I do facebook stock him occasionally - creepy???) Anyhow, this morning I thought maybe I should be telling Abby about him some so she knows not only that she has a birth mom, but a birth dad too. I told her that she got her beautiful dark skin from her birth dad C. She said "C loves me so much". I tell her a hundred times a day I love her so much, and I tell her other people love her so much, but I've never mentioned him before at all. It made me happy that she has confidence that she is very loved. I don't know whether he has love for her or not. I hope one day we will have a relationship with him and his family. But for today I just told her that everyone that knows her loves her so much. I told her that she also got her curly hair from him, and her eyes from him. And I told her that he helped create her, that he helped put her in Cheyenne's tummy to grow. She told me that "C makes me happy". I told her I love that she is happy. ‪#‎adoptionrocks‬ ‪#‎openadoption‬ ‪#‎adoption‬‪#‎choosingadoption‬ ‪#‎iloveadoption‬

No comments: