Sunday, May 23, 2010

Soul Sisters

In the first area of my mission I lived in a house with my companion (obviously) and another companionship (so two other girls). One of my roommates had a sister that sent her a talk tape, but on the tape she also included the song "Soul Sisters". It kind of became our theme song. So when I think of that song I think of the "Sisters" (women that I served with) on my mission. Although I learned a lot from a lot of different sisters on my mission, I just want to write about my companions, what I learned from them.

-Crystal Little - she was my MTC companion, my very first companion. I was blessed to get to serve in the same branch with her for our first six months in the field as well. We always wanted to be companions again, but I wasn't blessed with that chance. But we were trained at the same time (obviously) and then we trained at the same time. We got to talk about what we were learning along the way and since we were experiencing similar things it was extra helpful and drew us even closer together. From her I learned that a mission should be filled with joy AND FUN. She always worked hard, but with a smile on her face. Just seeing her you could tell how much she loved being a missionary. I also learned humility by her example. Also, I learned to think about what you say before saying it. She never was careless in her speech - what she spoke she meant to say, and it was always good.
-Jenny Cashmore - she was my trainer - that means she was my first companion in the field and was in charge of teaching me what to do as a missionary - and she did great. I have known a lot of people that did not like their trainer. I LOVED my trainer. From her I learned not only what to do as a missionary, but I learned the power of loving the people (she is filled with love) and to work hard til the end.
-Sandi Peterson - I trained her. From her I learned even more about how to be a missionary. I learned the power of testimony. I learned to pray more fervently. She really helped me become a better person.
-Christy Conger - I learned from her the power of touch (she always had hugs) and of laughter, even when you might not be that happy.
-Nancy Anderson - I learned from her to be sensitive to other people's feelings - that even though you may think what you are saying his harmless and you don't mean it in a negative or hurtful way, you should think about how what you are saying may be interpreted by others. I learned to laugh a lot more. And I learned about service.
-Haleigh McMullin - we were in a trio with Nancy Anderson, so when Haleigh came I learned about I learned about what it is like to be in a trio. I also learned more about how to let people know how important they are to you and to God.
-Shani Brinkerhoff - I learned the importance of faith and of the atonement in missionary work. I learned about relaxing sometimes and just having fun.
-Tsolomon - she is Mongolian and only has one name. I learned about being sensitive to different people's cultures. I learned about true charity. I learned about some flaws American's have, and some strengths. I learned we are all put in different places for reasons, whether to bless others or to be blessed by them.
-Jamie Whipple - from and with her I finally learned to have fun as a missionary - to have fun and be happy and really love being a missionary while still working hard and trying your best - to not be stressed about things out of your control or about little mistakes. I am not sure why it took my entire mission to learn this, my mission president wanted me to learn it much sooner, but I finally did - I am so grateful to her for helping me learn it.

And that is all the companions I had - they were pretty freaking fantastic, so lucky.

No comments: