Tuesday, January 27, 2009

75,000 lost their jobs

Ryan told me that 75,000 people lost their jobs yesterday. It made me very sad for all of them, and very grateful for the good jobs we have. I struggle sometimes with knowing how to feel about being financially stable and being able to save when I know people are struggling so much. Sometimes I kind of feel guilty. I wish that everyone that wanted a job could have one and that this economic crisis we are in would end. I am sure it will some time. But I was sent an email today from one of my old mission companions that was a reminder of all the things we as Americans take for granted, how easy we have it. I tried to copy and paste it into here but the pictures wouldn't copy and it wouldn't have the same effect without the pictures. But what I came away from it with was a feeling of gratitude for living in this great country. I am sure that since Ryan and I still do have jobs and we aren't really struggling it is easier for me to be grateful - but I am grateful. I'm grateful I have never had to know what it is like to be truly hungry. I'm grateful I have never had to watch a child starve or someone I love die just because there wasn't sufficient medical help to save him/her. I am grateful I have always had clean water to drink and to wash with. I am grateful I have always had a home to shelter and clothes to keep me warm. I am grateful for a bed to sleep in. I am grateful for the great education I have received and that I haven't had to perform hard-physical labor all my life. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to know of Christ and worship God as I choose and for ALL the freedoms I have. I am grateful that even though happiness sometimes seems elusive we are free to pursue it. I am grateful to be American, even when things aren't great. This is a great country - how blessed we are. I will pray tonight not only for all those who lost their jobs, but also for all those who are struggling every day just to survive.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Well put...I think sometimes we forget all the wonderful blessings we have and we focus on what we don't have. Let's all BE GRATEFUL!